[Marxism] Re: Robert Brenner responds

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 1 22:38:36 MST 2004

At 11:09 PM -0500 12/1/04, Louis Proyect posted Robert Brenner's note:
>On development, see also Capital, Part  8 on the So=called [nb]
>primitive accumulation of capital. But, most of all, see
>PreCapitalist Economic Formations in Grundrisse, as well Capital,
>volume III, Ch 20 on Merchants Capital, Ch 36 on pre-capitalist
>forms of interest, and Ch 47 on the genesis of capitalist ground
>rent...in which chapters I believe Marx pretty much puts paid to the
>pervasive notions of capitalist sprouts, merchant capital leading to
>capitalism
<snip>
>By contrast, I see peasant possession as a barrier to economic
>development in general and capitalism in particular, as I don't see
>peasants as incipiently capitalist or embryonic capitalists, but
>having their own rules for reproduction, their operation leading not
>to economic development but to to economic involution.

Brenner's anti-sprout view of the emergence of capitalism makes
better sense of peasant resistance than the pro-sprout view which is
more consonant with the stagist view of history.
--
Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/>
* "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and