[Marxism] Robert Brenner responds

acpollack2 at juno.com acpollack2 at juno.com
Wed Dec 1 23:16:51 MST 2004

I'll leave aside for now Bob's unbelievably contorted and confused misreading of 1920's Soviet history. I don't know what histories he's been reading but the picture he paints of the peasantry, and of the Bolshevik approaches to it, doesn't match anything I've read, and appears to be an anarchist-style attempt to moralize about the Bolshevik's "statism." More on that if people are interested.

But Bob also says: "Most of my stuff in Against the Current over the years has been against the statism and the forces that support it--the trade union bureaucracy, the Democratic Party/Jesse Jackson, social democracy, and Stalinism and identified with the self-organized working class."

On occasion, yes. But he's also periodically -- including as recently as the next-to-last issue of ATC -- joined with colleagues such as Joel Jordan to justify voting for Democrats. So much for "antistatism," whatever the hell that is.