[Marxism] Quagmire

paul bunyan cutemdown2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 12:04:18 MST 2004

Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> rleayed Marc Cooper article:www.marccooper.com
Thursday, December 02, 2004

>I was just watching a riveting edition of Nightline based almost
>exlcusively on ground-level footage from Fallujah and I was starkly
>reminded by the wrap-up interview of some of the unfortunate differences
>between Iraq and Vietnam. In the latter case, at least the U.S. forces
>controlled the major cities and could, to some degree, count on some
>firepower support from the South Vietnamese Army.

In 1968 when 7-10 million of South Vietnams population was under US/South Vietnamese control, the South Vietnamese furnished an active duty military force of 400,000,  plus 250,000 in the Regional/Popular forces (district and provincial troops), plus several hundred police and part time so called Civic Defense. In Iraq with 20 million people (when the Kurdish area is excluded), how many Iraqi government troops and police exist? No where near the 1,000,000 that the South Vietnamese had with half the population. That's one of the main differences between Iraq and Vietnam. In Iraq the US is going it virtually alone. Also in Vietnam the US allies, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, and Thiland, kicked in another 60,000 military people. The coalition of the bribed have no where that many troops in Iraq.