[Marxism] No More Moore

Jon Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Fri Dec 3 20:02:59 MST 2004

Published on Friday, December 3, 2004 by the New York Press

No More Moore: The DLC Joins the Witch-Hunt
by Matt Taibbi

We've got to repudiate, you know, the most strident and insulting
anti-American voices out there sometimes on our party's left... We can't
have our party identified by Michael Moore and Hollywood as our cultural
values.
— Al From, CEO, Democratic Leadership Council

You know, let's let Hollywood and the Cannes Film Festival fawn all over
Michael Moore. We ought to make it pretty clear that he sure doesn't
speak for us when it comes to standing up for our country.
— Will Marshall, President of the Progressive Policy Institute, the
think-tank of the DLC

THE FIRST THING I thought when reading these passages—both taken from a
"soul-searching" roundtable held by the Democratic Leadership Council—
was this: Who the hell is Will Marshall?

I couldn't remember seeing his name at the top of anybody's ballot. I
didn't remember which, if any, elections he had ever won. I was a little
mystified, in fact, by the nature of his popular support—who he meant,
exactly, when he used the word "we" to talk about whom Michael Moore
does and does not speak for.

According to the last data I could find, Moore recently made a movie
that was seen by tens of millions of people around the world and has
grossed nearly $120 million in the U.S. alone. Furthermore, it was,
according to exit polls, a much better demographic success than the
actual Democratic party. A Harris poll conducted in July found that 89
percent of Democrats agreed with Fahrenheit 9/11, along with 70 percent
of independents. That means Moore outperformed John Kerry among
independents by about 19 points, if we are to go just by the data
presented by bum-licking power-worshipper Ron Brownstein of the Los
Angeles Times at the DLC roundtable.

full: