[Marxism] Ukraine: US Shock Troops Threaten Both Candidates, Deadly Violence

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 5 22:13:41 MST 2004

From:           	Rick Rozoff

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1395482004

The Scotsman
December 6, 2004

Democracy movement fractures
CHRIS STEPHEN

-[Q]uestions hang over Pora’s organisation, amid
rumours that it was set up by American-trained
activists from another group, Otpor, which ran a
campaign to oust Slobodan Milosevic, the Yugoslav
president, in 2000.
-One senior [Pora] activist, inside Tent City, said
that the non-violence of earlier protests may now be
dropped.
"We could have taken the presidency last week, and
maybe we should have done [so]. Sure, one or two
people might have been killed but at least we would
have control," he said.

Kiev - Cracks began appearing in Ukraine’s democracy
[sic] movement yesterday as the activist group that
led Kiev’s street protests accused the opposition
leader, Victor Yushchenko, of going back on his
promises.

The Pora group warned it will launch a wave of new
protests, this time against both opposition and
government, unless talks are called off.
The protest was sparked by reports that Mr Kuchma,
living in a summer house outside the city, is trying
to negotiate an immunity deal from corruption charges
with Mr Yushchenko.
"We want the opposition to stop talks with criminals,"
Pora spokesman Andrei Yusov told The Scotsman.

"They should talk about full transfer of government
actions with no conditions."

Until this weekend, Ukraine’s opposition had remained
united in its demands for fresh elections.

But since Friday’s Supreme Court decision to hold new
polls....splits have appeared.
Pora is...angry about a deal, brokered last week by
the European Union foreign policy chief, Javier
Solana, under which Mr Kuchma promised to support new
elections if Mr Yushchenko agreed to constitutional
changes that would weaken his powers.

On Saturday, Mr Yushchenko cancelled the agreement,
with Pora accusing him of simply wanting to hang onto
the levers of power.

Since last summer, Pora - the name means "It is time"
- has led the protest movement against the regime with
daring and eye-catching stunts.
[I]n the elections, Pora was again in the vanguard,
setting up Tent City, the sprawling encampment in
Kiev’s Khreshchatik Boulevard that has become the
focus of opposition protests.

But questions hang over Pora’s organisation, amid
rumours that it was set up by American-trained
activists from another group, Otpor, which ran a
campaign to oust Slobodan Milosevic, the Yugoslav
president, in 2000.

Pora is reticent about explaining its origins or
sponsors. Mr Yusov said that the group had no overall
leader, only a "steering committee".

On the streets, there is frustration among Pora
activists that despite agreeing to new elections, Mr
Kuchma’s officials remain inside government buildings,
with protesters still stuck outside.

One senior activist, inside Tent City, said that the
non-violence of earlier protests may now be dropped.

"We could have taken the presidency last week, and
maybe we should have done. Sure, one or two people