[Marxism] Hotel Rwanda

Octob1917 at aol.com Octob1917 at aol.com
Tue Dec 7 09:31:30 MST 2004

I was fortunate enough to attend a preview screening of the movie, Hotel
Rwanda, last night in Los Angeles. Due for release on December 22nd, it tells the
true story of a Rwandan - and Hutu - hotel manager in Kigali who saved the
lives of 1200 Tutsis during the height of the genocide in 1994. The movie was
directed by Terry George, whose previous credits include In The Name Of The
Father, which he co-wrote with Jim Sheridan, and Some Mother's Son, which he wrote
and directed. Hotel Rwanda stars Don Cheadle as the hotel manager, Nick Nolte
as a Canadian UN Colonel, Joaquin Phoenix as an American cameraman, as well as
many other lesser-known actors.

This is one of the most powerful and heartrending movies I have ever seen.
The chaos and terror sucks you up scene after scene, helped along by Oscar
winning performances from Cheadle and Nolte. The racism of the West is excellently
portrayed when Belgian paratroopers arrive to escort the white hotel guests to
safety, abandoning the Tutsi refugees despite them pleading with them to stay
and protect them from marauding, machete-wielding Hutu gangs (I'm not giving
it away, btw. This is a scene from the movie's preview).

Cheadle's character, the situation he finds himself in and his response to
the carnage taking place around him, echoes that of Oskar Schindler in
Schindler's List. I'd always considered Don Cheadle to be a good, solid actor, but with
this performance he takes the craft, in my view, to new heights. Everything
he does is done subtly, charting the character's journey from social climbing
hotel manager to a man walking a fine line between life and death for the lives
of others.

Nolte, too, excels in his portrayal of a brave and honorable Canadian U.N.
Colonel whose hands are tied by a lack of manpower and rules of engagement that
preclude him from taking a firm stand when the massacre begins. The
uselessness of the U.N. in such situations - we've seen it all over Africa, the Middle
East, Yugoslavia, East Timor - is forcefully revealed, though it won't come as
a shock to the subscribers of this list.

The hand wringing that took place in the corridors of power in the West, by
Clinton and his acolytes, by the French and Belgian governments, as the
genocide took place, left me outraged and disgusted. This hand wringing is
excellently and subtly depicted throughout the movie and is, of course, testament to
filmmaker and actors' success in sucking me into the story and making me suspend
disbelief.

Finally, just as we see genocide unfolding again in the Sudan and new
tensions arise in Rwanda, Hotel Rwanda is a graphic and terrible reminder of Africa's
tortured history at the hands of European colonialism. Policies of divide and
rule, the arbitrary drawing of maps to portion out natural resources and
land, lie at the root cause of the mess we see in Africa, the Middle East and the
Indian subcontinent today.

Every member of the ruling class should be taken by the scruff of the neck
and dragged along to see this movie.

Then, afterwards, drowned.

JoeD