[Marxism] Putting everything on the table

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 7 09:39:20 MST 2004

St. Paul Pioneer Press (Minnesota), Tuesday, October 26, 2004
Confessions of a Reformed Nader-Voter
by Doug Rossinow

To liberals who supported Nader in 2000, the case for Kerry is simple. Bush
is a far more radical and ruinous president than almost anyone predicted in
2000. This guy's killing us. He's bankrupted our government with tax cuts
for the rich, justifying this with ridiculous Enron accounting. Many of his
influential supporters hope to create a fiscal train wreck that finally,
finally will justify — Republican Holy of Holies! — liquidating Social
Security...

===

FOX NEWS SUNDAY 9:00 AM EST
December 5, 2004 Sunday
Chris Wallace interview With Nancy Pelosi

(clip)

WALLACE: I want to ask you about one other area. In fact, it involves the
president, because you and other congressional leaders are meeting with the
president tomorrow on the issue of Social Security reform.

Would you accept any package that includes cuts in benefits for workers
years in the future, not current workers, people about to retire, but years
in the future?

PELOSI: What I have said to President Bush, a couple of different times, is
that we should go to the table in a bipartisan way with no preconditions,
put everything on the table.

Some principles I think we should adhere to would be that the middle class
is not harmed and that we do not add to the deficit.

I don't think we should start at a place where the president's adviser,
Mankiw, said, "Let me state clearly that there are no free lunches here.
The benefits now scheduled for future generations, under current law, are
not sustainable given the projected path of payroll tax revenue. They are
empty promises."

But we have to start at a better place than that, I believe. But I do
believe that if we are going deal with Social Security, it has to be a
sustainable solution that is bipartisan.

WALLACE: But you would consider then, for instance, raising the retirement
age -- given the fact that with life expectancy people are living so much
longer -- you would consider raising the retirement age for workers 10, 20
years down the line?

PELOSI: Well, when you talk about raising the retirement age, you know, in
your profession you can go on for a very long time, as your wonderful
father has.

(LAUGHTER)

But if you're doing heavy...

WALLACE: That depends on the boss.

(LAUGHTER)

But anyway, go ahead.

PELOSI: If you're doing heavy lifting on the job -- not that you aren't,
but if you're doing physically heavy lifting on the job, that might be a
different situation.

WALLACE: But you would consider...

PELOSI: What I'm saying, no preconditions, go to the table, no
preconditions. I certainly would. I believe that not cutting benefits
should be a priority.

But we go to the table. Again, no preconditions on either side. And we look
forward to working with the president on this.

WALLACE: Congresswoman, thank you so much. Great to have you with us today.
Appreciate it.

PELOSI: Thank you, Chris. Happy anniversary again. Congratulations.

WALLACE: Thank you. I think we've overdone this.

(LAUGHTER)

--

www.marxmail.org