[Marxism] The Guardian Interviews Nader

Charlie Parks jcparks5550 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 7 20:50:39 MST 2004

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1368076,00.html

An interesting postelection piece, parts of which are revealing, such as the
following outrageous acknowledgement of chicanery from Toby Moffett:

'Toby Moffett, an old friend and disciple of Nader's who has long since
parted ways ideologically, spearheaded the ballot access campaign against
him. He says it had to be done. "I talk about it without any glee because we
lost the greater battle. It's a ridiculous little asterisk of history. But I
think we had a role in the ballot challenges. We distracted him and drained
him of resources," Moffett claims, but adds: "I'd be less than honest if I
said it was all about the law. It was all about stopping Bush from getting
elected."'

(Mission accomplished!)

Or this: "That is how corrupt the system is, that good people turn against
you," he says. "Our political system is an idiocracy. It's the laughing
stock of the western world."

(A dead-on description of our political system, but I trust he wasn't
thinking of Medea Benjamin, Norman Solomon, Ted Glick or Toby Moffett when
he noted that "good people turn against you." Sleezy people who were
probably never really with you to begin with, orchestrating Green Party
coups d'etat against you, publicly recanting their votes for you, pompously
shouting down your campaign spokespersons in debates (Solomon), and
employing Tammany Hall tactics to foil your campaign--"good people turning
against you" just doesn't quite evince all of this despicable treachery.)

Full:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1368076,00.html