[Marxism] Re:Chavez and Trotsky

Octob1917 at aol.com Octob1917 at aol.com
Tue Dec 7 23:23:04 MST 2004

In a message dated 12/7/2004 10:13:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
stansmith44 at ameritech.net writes:
  And so Celia Hart wrote something about Trotsky. I don't see why that would
deserve more play that speeches by other a little more important  Cubans like
Fidel Castro or Felipe Perez Roque.

You completely miss the point. Trotsky was a Marxist, obviously, but it was
he and Lenin who were the first to put Marx's theories into practise. That they
did so successfully, in the process formulating a unique organizational
structure and theoretical position tailored to the unique challenges posed by a
semi-feudal nation made up of various ethnic and religious groups, was an
outstanding feat. Trotsky's theory of Permanent Revolution, which Lenin came round to
agreeing with later, was the work of a visionary. That his theory and its
concepts have withstood the test of time merely serves to illustrate the man's
brilliance. And not only was he an outstanding scholar and philosopher; he was
also a superb military commander and strategist, the founder of the Red Army
and architect of the nascent Soviet Union's victory in the Civil War.

We draw inspiration from revolutionaries such as Trotsky, Lenin, Castro, Mao,
et al, simply because we should. They went before and succeeded in changing
the course of history. If we cannot learn from them and their examples, who can
we learn from?

Joe