[Marxism] Jackson's Call for a Const'al Amd.

WJKELLPRO at aol.com WJKELLPRO at aol.com
Wed Dec 8 11:30:55 MST 2004

Jackson's Call for a Const'al Amd.

Jessie Jackson recently put out a list of horribles about the dirty tricks,
inconveniences, and down right rigging that went on in Ohio ("Something's Fishy
in Ohio" by Jesse Jackson, Chicago Sun Times - November 30, 2004).  Long,
slow lines for the poor, special treatment for the rich.  At least one machine
that gave Bush 3893 extra votes, out of 638 actually cast, etc.

Is this anything new?  Of course not.  So, what can be done about it?

Jackson calls for "a constitutional amendment to guarantee the right to vote
for all U.S. citizens and to empower Congress to establish federal standards
and nonpartisan
administration of elections."  But this language is so vague that its
meaningless.  We need a complete overhaul of the federal election process that will
both raise its degree of democracy and take advantage of modern electronic
technology.

We need a process that will end the need to trek to the polls, and end the
waits in line.  We need a voting system that is as secure as international
banking.  We need a procedure that will put meat on the bones of the "one person,
one vote" principle.  To do that, we need a way of sidelining the present
domination of Big Money.  The electoral college makes the popular vote a sham, and
should be abolished.  We need a system that equalizes the role of the states
in the presidential election process, eliminating big state advantages.  We
also need a system that will assure the voters of each candidate's intellectual
qualifications.

Here is Section One of the Constitutional Amendment that the US needs to
truly democratize federal elections:
Section 1.
The President and Vice-President of the United States shall be elected by the
people.  In addition to the qualifications stated in Article Two of this
Constitution, candidates for these offices must pass a written examination.  Those
who pass the exam will participate in a series of electronically broadcast
elimination debates.  Following each set of debates there will be a period
during which votes will be cast and recorded electronically.  All candidates will
be eliminated in this manner until two remain.  A final post-debate vote will
be taken to determine by the greatest number who will be President, the
Vice-President to be determined by the lesser number.
To see all the details, go to http://www.empathicscience.org/ammend.html

William J. Kelleher, Ph.D. is the author of: a) The New Election Game: A
Replacement for the Two-Party System (1987); and, b) Marxist Spirituality: Why
Widespread Spiritual Enlightenment Cannot be Attained in the Capitalist System
and What To Do About It. (forthcoming)