[Marxism] Re: Hugo Chavez, Celia Hart, and the future of "Trotskyi sm"

acpollack2 at juno.com acpollack2 at juno.com
Wed Dec 8 13:46:21 MST 2004

I think working for the dissolution of our (Trotskyist) current is a worthwhile goal TO THE EXTENT THAT ITS MERITS HAVE BEEN ABSORBED BY A BROADER CURRENT. The danger is in putting aside that goal in the desire to be part of the same revolutionary group/current/international without coming to principled agreement.

History did not stop with Trotsky, and an integration of the lessons learned by other currents -- Castroist, Sandinista, Chavista, etc. -- is crucial.  That cannot be done by ignoring differences, but rather by comradely dialogue and common work.

Do these currents -- or other nonTrotskyist currents -- have a strategy for rebuilding a class-struggle left-wing in the US?  For rebuilding a communist presence in the Arab world?  If yes, even if only partially, than we are further along in the dissolution process than I thought. If not, then the Trotskyist movement still needs to regroup, to expand, to make its views more concrete, more current, and better known.

-- l.willms at jpberlin.de (Lueko Willms) wrote:
.    On  08.12.04
  wrote  ffeldman at bellatlantic.net (Fred Feldman)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  000001c4dd5b$a065e010$6401a8c0 at fredpc
  about  [Marxism] Hugo Chavez, Celia Hart, and the future of "Trotskyism"

   Changing some words in this Freds remarks, I endorse it fully,
voting for its general line with both hands:

FF>        [Our] course should not be towards hegemony for [our]
FF> current in Venezuela, Cuba, or on a world scale, but

FF> toward the disappearance of Trotskyism as a distinct current that
FF> was _forced into existence_ by the Stalinist political
FF> counterrevolution in the Soviet Union in the 1920s,

FF> which prepared and led to the disintegration of the conquests of
FF> the revolution which was clearly registered by the events of the
FF> early 90s.

Yours,

"Kein Land kann seine Probleme in dieser globalisierten Welt allein
auf sich gestellt lösen. Entweder wir retten uns alle zusammen oder
wir gehen zusammen unter. Heute mehr denn je gilt das Wort von José
Martí: Das Vaterland ist die ganze Menschheit."
               - Fidel Castro, Caracas (Veneuzuela), 3. Februar 1999