[Marxism] IRA statement

Octob1917 at aol.com Octob1917 at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 09:31:45 MST 2004

Full text can be found in today's London Guardian

IRA statement

The following is the text of a communique from the IRA issued today in
response to unionist insistence that it should allow it disarmament process to be
photographed

Thursday December 9, 2004

More than ten years ago, an IRA cessation publicly heralded the onset of the
Irish peace process.
Since then, the IRA has, time and again, demonstrated its commitment to
sustaining and developing that process through a series of very significant and
substantive initiatives.
In the context of the work to conclude a comprehensive agreement, the
leadership of Oglaigh na hEireann decided:
· to support a comprehensive agreement by moving into a new mode which
reflects our determination to see the transition to totally peaceful society;
· all IRA Volunteers be given specific instructions not to engage in any
activity which might thereby endanger that new agreement; · the IRA leadership
also decided that we will, in this context, conclude the process to completely
and verifiably put all our arms beyond use;
· we instructed our representative to agree with the IICD (Independent
International Commission on Decommissioning) the completion of this process,
speedily, and if possible by the end of December;
· to further enhance public confidence we agreed to the presence of two
clergymen as observers during this process.
The IRA leadership decided to contribute in this way to a comprehensive
agreement to resolve all outstanding issues, including those of concern within
unionism.
For his part, Ian Paisley demanded that our contribution be photographed, and
reduced to an act of humiliation.
This was never possible. Knowing this, he made this demand publicly as the
excuse for his rejection of an overall agreement to create a political context
with the potential to remove the causes of conflict.
As the IRA leadership has said before, this is a context in which Irish
republicans and unionists can, as equals, pursue our respective political
objectives peacefully.
We restate our commitment to the peace process. But we will not submit to a
process of humiliation.
We commend our Volunteers and the wider republican base for their patience
and discipline in these testing times. Our commitment, like theirs, to our
republican objectives is undiminished.

http://www.guardian.co.uk