[Marxism] US support for Bolivar query (cont.)

Octob1917 at aol.com Octob1917 at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 12:12:46 MST 2004

In a message dated 12/10/2004 9:44:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
phantasmagorias at yahoo.com writes:
I'm still hoping that some knowledgeable list members
will guide me to some online sources on this issue.

You may try Eduardo Galeano's exhaustinve history of Latin America, titled
'Open Veins'.

I have a copy but recently shipped it back to Scotland. It provides an
excellent political and social history of the region, which does include a lot on
Simon Bolivar and the struggle he led for independence.

As I haven't read it for a while I am unable to give any more info than that,
however, I am currently working my way through a history of Haiti and was
impressed to find that when Bolivar was desititute and his movement near
collapse, the Haitian Republic, itself under siege by the French, English, Spanish and
US, gave him sanctuary and money to help him continue. Their only condition
to this help was that he free the slaves throughout Latin America.

Joe