[Marxism] Re: Ernest Mandel on historical materialism and the capitalist s

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Sun Dec 12 03:15:00 MST 2004

.    On  12.12.04
  wrote  andromeda246 at hetnet.nl (Jurriaan Bendien)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  003801c4dffb$ef602f20$9600000a at jurriaan
  about  [Marxism] Ernest Mandel on historical materialism and the capitalist s

JB> HISTORICAL MATERIALISM AND THE CAPITALIST STATE (1980)
JB>
JB> Ernest Mandel

   Excellent article, although at the moment I have only read the last
part which appeared as the first installment in the MarxMail forder. I
think you should have posted the article as _one_ email instead of
three pieces. I would have started with the first part...

JB> I made a translation of this article by Mandel in the 1980s and
JB> edited it for readability

   For readability you should have placed an empty line between the
paragraphs.

JB> - it originally appeared in Marxismus und Anthropologie (Bochum:
JB> Germinal, 1980) which was a volume of essays in honour of Leo Kofler,
JB> but I based my translation on a subsequent Flemish version appearing
JB> in Toestanden (Antwerp), vol 1 no. 3, August 1981, adding a few
JB> notes. It might be of interest to a few readers, though possibly a
JB> bit dated nowadays - JB).

  Thanks for the hint, I will try and get the original German
publication.

  BTW, as to the final paragraph citing Engels, "General" also wrote
in a letter to Marx that bonapartism seemed to be the normal form of
capitalist rule, i.e. that the capitalists as such assign the tasks of
administering their state either to the landed aristocracy as in
England or to a caste of professional politicians.

Yours,

"Das Volk, das ein anderes Volk unterjocht, schmiedet seine eigenen
Ketten."                         - Karl Marx           (1. Januar 1870)