[Marxism] Mandel's writings

acpollack2 at juno.com acpollack2 at juno.com
Tue Dec 14 10:13:09 MST 2004

A couple additions to what Jurriaan wrote. First, Late Capitalism is a great example of what Jurriaan refers to vis-a-vis Marxist Economic Theory, i.e. an effort to "actually develop Marx's theory, using the new findings of the modern sciences, like Marx himself did." In the case of Late Capitalism, this meant, among other things, trying to integrate the various causes of crisis; to take a new look at technological development and its limits; and to reassess competing theories of imperialism.

His "Leninist Theory of Organization" had a big impact on me. It was the first thing I'd read that made clear there was more to organizing than the party/united front dichotomy. Specifically this meant in the '70s that the SWP/mass antiwar movement pair, while important (and we could do much, much worse today, in fact we are!), did not grapple with other possible intermediate forms of organization (which could, for example, take up tasks of solidarity with liberation movements).

Whether the pro-Mandel European sections did anything worthwhile with this theory is another question....