[Marxism] Re: Mandel's writings

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Tue Dec 14 11:49:00 MST 2004

.    On  14.12.04
  wrote  andromeda246 at hetnet.nl (Jurriaan Bendien)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  002d01c4e1fa$309a51f0$9600000a at jurriaan
  about  [Marxism] Mandel's writings

JB> And Mandel seemed to us, rightly or wrongly, to be there at the
JB> centre of it.

   Who is this "we"?

   You did not mention Mandel's main work which is his leading role in
the Fourth International over several decades.

JB> If you're interested in Mandel's work, the best place to start is
JB> with the preface to his two-volume book Marxist Economic Theory,

  Well, the number of volumes depends on language and edition. The
french paperback version is in three volumes, the German edition (with
a very bad translation) in one single volume (the book was originally
written in French, while "Late Capitalism" was written in German).

  Besides, his 98-page booklet "An introduction to Marxist Economic
Theory" might be even easier as a primer. It is still in print at
Pathfinder Press (http://www.pathfinderpress.com/d000/44.shtm); they
also sell a Spanish edition (Edición Era):
  http://www.pathfinderpress.com/d100/165.shtml

  Still at Pathfinder Press, one finds "The Marxist Theory of
Alienation" with another article by George Novack:
  http://www.pathfinderpress.com/d200/295.shtml

  BTW, I got today the "Festschrift" for Leo Kofler with Mandel's
article on the capitalist state in its original German.

Yours,

"Die Interessen der Nation lassen sich nicht anders formulieren als unter
dem Gesichtspunkt der herrschenden Klasse oder der Klasse, die die
Herrschaft anstrebt."            - Leo Trotzki         (27. Januar 1932)