[Marxism] Forwarded from Victor R.

Bill Hughes bill at enlightenment.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 14:20:13 MST 2004

Apart from the dubious antirationalism of Body Shop philosophy and it's
patronising of indigenous peoples, they don't treat workers in the West too
well either. This is something I wrote some time ago:

Anita Roddick, Managing Director of Body Shop, in a speech to the 31st.
Congress of the International Chamber of Commerce, tells us that she has:

been part of a different, smaller business movement - one that has tried to
put business back on the agenda... business can and must be a force for
positive change... We need trade that respects and supports communities and
families, that safeguards the environment; that encourages countries to
educate their children, heal their sick, value the world of women and
respect human rights (6)

We hear of how much she has learnt from the Kayapo of Brazil and of her
generous assistance to the Nanhu Indians in Mexico, the Unemployed of
Glasgow and other exotic peoples.  However, not everything smells of roses
at the Body Shop.  According to Melanie McFadyan, in her review of Ms.
Roddick's autobiography, 'Body and Soul', Body Shop assistants are paid
'4.45 an hour, 166 for a 37.5 hour week before deductions... less than the
Low Pay Unit's threshold of 185'.
She continues:

It's not as if the Body Shop is hard up.  Last year's turnover was £115.6
million and pre-tax profit reached £20 million.  The highest paid director
got £183,000 and the chairman, Gordon Roddick, husband of Anita, didn't do
badly on £116,000. (7)

Staff will share profits in the 25 company owned shops, but:

profits may not be shared in the 150 franchised shops.  Encouraged to
conform to Body Shop ethics, franchisees are not bound by the guidelines, as
Andrea Harris, a 21 year-old psychology graduate, discovered.  She recently
worked at a franchised Body Shop on a temporary contract, paid £3.50 an hour
as a packer in a warehouse.  A £10 bonus was awarded weekly for attendance,
punctuality and productivity.  Andrea lost this one week when, having
struggled with the flu for several days, she left early on a Friday
afternoon.  When she went to the defence of a colleague whom she felt was
unfairly treated... she was sacked for her "attitude". (7)

6. 'It's All Our Business', New Statesman and Society, 17-31 Dec. 1993.

7. 'The Prophet Motive', New Statesman and Society, 15 Nov. 1991.