[Marxism] Bad things happen to people who get bad press

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Tue Dec 14 17:38:24 MST 2004

In a way, this merely serves the larger goal of reinforcing the
institutionality (?) of patriarchy and the legitimacy of the state in
mediating gender relations. Women are supposed to be passive victims, under
the "protective" gaze of the state. So are their wombs. Compare this with
the treatment received by the vast majority of the female population on
Rikers Island, there because they lashed out at their abusers. (A friend
and former professor who ran women's support groups on Rikers attested to
this: I just don't remember if it was because they killed their abusers or
simply -- "simply"! -- responded to brutality with aggravated assault or
the like). Do they get ANY coverage, much less a sympathetic hearing?

MIke