[Marxism] Fallujah: 2 more marines killed as US roll-over rolls over and over

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Tue Dec 14 20:19:49 MST 2004

I note that this Al Jazeerah article refers to the Shia list backed by
Sistani as pro-U.S.  That seems premature to me given their stand
against the occupation.  They have clearly adapted against the
occupation in hopes of gaining their hopes of a government based on the
Shia majority.

If they are permitted to win the vote -- which we won't know until after
the count -- will they follow the course of defending their government
through relying on the US troops against the currently mostly Sunni
"resistance" (mostly Sunni now, but that was much less true before the
election campaign)?  Will the US decide to deny them the election and
keep in the much more reliable but more narrowly-based Allawi?  Will the
Shia leaders decide to avoid the deep split in the Shia population that
would result from fighting alongside the occupiers?  We really don't
know.

The battle of Fallujah and the events in Mosul have shown that even
without the direct involvement of the Shia population, which opposes the
occupation, the resistance is still a powerful force, one the Shia
bourgeois leaders cannot ignore and have not ignored.

Events in Iraq have had a tendency not to go the way Washington would
wish. My suspicion is that Sistani and, more certainly, most Shia will
not behave as the US is hoping, and that Iraqi politics will continue to
be dominated by the resistance struggle and not by the hoped-for civil
war between Sunni and Shia.
Fred Feldman

Al Jazeerah

http://www.aljazeerah.info/

2 US Marines Killed in Falluja, Several Iraqis Killed and Injured in a
Second Car Suicide Bomb in Baghdad Green Zone, Trial of Former Iraqi
Officials in Election Run-Up Stunt

Al-Jazeerah edited report, Tue Dec 14, 2004 09:54 AM ET

By Lin Noueihed and Waleed Ibrahim BAGHDAD (Reuters) -

 [snip]

FALLUJA RESISTANCE

A resurgence of resistance in the city of Falluja, west of Baghdad, has
put
pressure on the U.S. Marine force in the region, which suffered two more
casualties, bringing to 10 the number of Marines killed in action in
three
days. Richard Myers, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, said
"pockets" of resistance were active in Falluja, preventing residents
going
home. He said during a visit to Baghdad an increase in U.S. troop
numbers to
protect the election would be reversed after the vote -- depending on
the
course of events.

President Bush approved a 10-percent increase in troops to 150,000.
Myers
said failure to hold the election on time would be "a victory for the
insurgents."

ELECTION

Allawi warned, however, that a successful election would not kill off
the
resistance.

He urged Iraqi politicians to continue "making sacrifices," saying one
or
two people from his own party were being "martyred" every day as it
struggled to organize for the ballot.

Parties have one day left to register their lists for the poll, in which
Iraqis will elect a 275-seat National Assembly charged with drafting a
constitution and appointing a new government. The full lists, with
candidates' names, will be made public on Dec. 20, an Electoral
Commission
spokesman said.

Iraq's top Shi'i cleric, Ali al-Sistani, has issued a religious edict
demanding Shi'is cast a ballot.

Pro-US Shi'i politicians have agreed on a list of 228 candidates that
brings
together Iraq's two main Shi'i parties, Dawa and the Supreme Council for
the
Islamic Revolution in Iraq, as well as Iraqi Hizbollah and several
secular
Shi'is.

Allawi, a Shi'i who returned from exile in Britain and was appointed by
the
US in June in a process overseen by U.S. forces, has said his Iraqi
National
Accord will present a list on Wednesday.

SUICIDE CAR BOMBING

A suicide car bomber struck an entrance to Baghdad's Green Zone
government
compound, 24 hours after an identical attack at the same checkpoint on
the
anniversary of the Iraqi President Saddam Hussain's arrest by US forces.

Hospital staff said 12 civilians were wounded, five of them seriously.
Some
of the wounded spoke of others blown to pieces.

No Americans were hurt, a U.S. military spokesman said. "I saw a Kia car
drive through the checkpoint and it exploded," said bus driver Mohammed
Kathem as he lay wounded at the civilian Yarmuk hospital.

"Two of the people standing next to me were killed. I saw them cut to
pieces," said another wounded man, Feras Saher, a labourer who was
lining up
to go to work in the Green Zone.

At the scene, mangled wreckage littered the area in front of a gate into
the
sprawling compound, once Saddam's presidential palace. It now houses the
U.S.-backed interim government and the U.S. and other embassies.

Green Zone checkpoints have been a frequent target of the Iraqi
resistance
opposed to the U.S. occupation.