[Marxism] Marx and capitalism

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Wed Dec 15 06:46:23 MST 2004

Respuesta a: [Marxism] Marx and capitalism
Remitido por: Philip Ferguson
Fecha: Miércoles 15 de Diciembre de 2004
Hora: 11:16
*****

> Tom wrote:
> >Militant trade unionism forces up wages, which in turn drives
> capitalists to invest in labour-saving machinery, which in turn leads
> to a falling rate of profit.
>

> I've seen this argument before, for instance by a couple of leaders of
> the British SWP (Chris Harman in one place and John Molyneux in
> another), and it always strikes me as strange.  (I should add here
> that a lot of the rest of the Molyneux book that this argument is in
> is excellent.)
>
> In the 50 pages that Marx spends on the falling rate of profit in
> 'Capital' (vol 3), however, he nowhere attributes the falling rate of
> profit to workers' wages rising.
>
> The reason capitalists invest in labour-saving devices/new
> technology/plant is because of competition with other capitalists.

Though I agree with Phil's intention in stressing the above, I also
believe that it is dirty water, not the baby, that we should throw
away.

Competitive environment is a generalized feature of capitalist
formations.  And inter-class competitive pressure for surplus value
(economic class struggle) is as strong as intra-class competitive
pressure (competition between bourgeois).  That is, the capitalist
needs to fight against many different trends that jeopardize the rate
of profit.

The intra-class (that is, competition with other bourgeois) side is,
as Phil points out, built-in and in the end deadly.

But inter-class struggle can become an important factor in the
struggle against the TRPF.  For example, substitution of the methods
of absolute surplus value for those of relative surplus value _is_ a
constitutive part of imperialism.  Isn't the maquila system a good
example?

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822