[Marxism] Writings on evolution

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Wed Dec 15 08:54:14 MST 2004

Unfortunately, I was unable to do more than glance at the recent discussion
of various works dealing with evolutionary theory. This is my area and I'd
have liked to answer some of the contributions thoughtfully, but I'm under a
severe time crunch, right now. My own suggestions to reading list would be
the Talk Origins website (http://www.talkorigins.org/), which deals
primarily with the evolution vs. creationism controversy and the book
Lifelines: Biology Beyond Determinism, by biochemist Steve Rose, a
collaborator of Richard Levins and Richard Lewontin. I would also recommend
works, such as The Triple Helix, which is directed against genetic
determinism, by Lewontin, a geneticist and Marxist.. In fact, both Rose and
Lewontin argue strongly against the type of genetic reductionism advocated
by Richard Dawkins and the kind of genetic determinism promoted by E.O.
Wilson: I noticed that someone recommended the former's work. Interestingly,
Dawkins' "Selfish Gene" concept has increased in popularity in recent years,
as various theories of genetic determinism have made a comeback as
explanations for human behavior and other traits.

Mike