[Marxism] Reply to Tom on the meaning of capitalism and statecapitalism

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Dec 15 11:31:48 MST 2004

Generally speaking, the list benefits if people turn down the volume and
the heat and go for clarity of expression and light.  Can't we afford to
be thick-skinned on email lists?  If something happens here that REALLY
irritates you for more than an hour or so, I'd suggest that you're not
doing enough with your life off the computer.  I mean, it's not as
though there is a paucity of outlets in RL.

Heating things up really doesn't get you or the list anywhere.  More
than that, it actively distracts from the subject you way you want to
discuss and the points you want to make.  As a general rule of thumb,
focus on what the other person is saying.  Attributing motives to why
they're saying is, by definition, asserting what you can't be proved by
email.

There's no point in doing it unless you want to divert the discussion
from the subject itself.  Once the list begins to see such diversions of
the discussion for what they are, we will have elevated email to the
point where its utility will be greatly enhanced.

Just some thoughts.

Solidarity!
Mark L.