[Marxism] "Factor intensity" question [was State, capitalism...]

Matías Scaglione mdscaglione at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Dec 16 14:53:04 MST 2004

Julio:

Regarding your last comments, it should be clear that I am not referring
to the arithmetic problems with the ratio K/L. The real problem appears
when you try to build a ratio with _two incommensurable categories_ (a
definite social relation and an ahistorical condition of production).
That's the main point of the controversy. If, on the other hand, you
agree with me that the letter K is tantamount of means of production,
then we have to reject the "marginalist's" or "economics'" theory of the
firm, theory of distribution, theory of capital, etc., and recognize
that if there is anything valuable in "marginalism", it is to be found
in the _sphere of exchange_. In other words, capital is not a "factor of
production".

Matias