[Marxism] Robert Lowell meets Robert McNamara

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Sat Dec 18 19:09:11 MST 2004

The present issue of The New Yorker (December 20 & 27, 2004) has a
selection of letters from Robert Lowell to Elizabeth Bishop. According
to the New Yorker, "The Letters of Robert Lowell" will be published in
June. Of course, the book itself will be a selection. We are not told
how many letters exist or to whom they are addressed. In any case, this
selection of letters to Bishop is itself fascinating. Here is one that
should be of especial interest to readers of Marxmail.

Along with many other poets, writers, painters, and sculptors, Lowell
was a prominent opponent of the Vietnam War. As you can tell from the
selection below, he was also, due to family genealogy and prominence,
in the periphery of the ruling class.

Alan Wald ("The New York Intellectuals") could describe the
associations more fully than I, but the circle of artists opposed to
the Vietnam War had many connections to the 1930s and 1940s
non-Stalinist artistic left. "When the editors of The Vassar Miscellany
rejected a submission of modern verse, she [Elizabeth Bishop] joined
with classmates Mary McCarthy, Eleanor Clark, and Muriel Rukeyser in
founding a less conventional literary journal, Con Spirito." McCarthy
became identified with the Trotskyist movement for her defense of Leon
Trotsky, Rukeyser was identified with the Communist Party, and Eleanor
Clark was briefly married to Jan Frankel, a secretary of and translator
for Leon Trotsky.

from Brian Shannon

Robert Lowell
http://www.poets.org/poets/poets.cfm?45442B7C000C0705

Elizabeth Bishop
http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/LitNote/id-11,pageNum-65.html
____________

New York, N.Y.
September 15, 1966

Dearest Elizabeth:

What’s up? It seems almost a year since I’ve had anything in writing
from you. . . . In mid-summer, following my desire and ignoring my
better judgment, I went to a birthday party for Jackie Kennedy—white
turrety inn building at Cotuit, rooms rented for the guests by our
hostess Mrs. Paul Mellon, through the afternoon glimpses of what must
be fellow guests, women with hair a foot high, smiles but no
introductions, the nearest I came to knowing any were Mike Nichols,
Charles Addams, and Jerome Robbins—most of them were people like
Forestal’s son, Paley, the CBS president, people with names like big
figures in news, business or politics, but often not related, or poor
cousins.

Launch with champagne in paper cups, harbor boat pacing our boat,
wonderful sunset over Cotuit accredited to Mrs. Mellon’s plans—then
landing, swarms of new known-unknowns with lanterns, big tent, air of
very expensive rustic simplicity. Hours of waiting, feeling that no one
was known from our world to any of the other guests except Mike
Nichols.

Later, a luxuriously simple dinner, all I can remember are blood-red
lamb chops, Mike Nichols next to Jackie, later, middle-aged people
dancing the new dances, not very wildly, but too young for me, a
slightly tawdry untimely Marie Antoinette feeling of a festival when
the age for being whole-hearted about such things has passed, the flash
of the jet-set, a little lurid and in bad taste in a world of poverty
and blood, a certain real ease—meeting with McNamara, Jackie putting
her hand over my mouth and telling me to be polite and I saying
something awkward about liking him, but not his policy, then Jackie
saying “how impossibly banal, you should say you adore his policy, but
find him dull.”

Few minutes talk with Styron and me arguing with McNamara, no great
impact on either side, except that McNamara seemed a simple brilliant
administrative soul, who had given little thought to moral
complications, and who might have even taken the usual liberal line
against Viet Nam more easily than I would.

The party didn’t get into the news, but somehow a month later, a gossip
column in Norfolk, Virginia, reported that I stayed up till five with
McNamara and we had gotten on famously, and the columnist hoped I’d
learned something—all non-sense. A vague feeling of a heterogeneous
opposition to Johnson group. The most interesting person to talk to was
Bobby Kennedy, but like Carlos [Lacerda, Bishop’s neighbor and an
elected official in Brazil], there is a scary feeling of ambition and
power about him, along with frankness.