[Marxism] State capitalism -- addition

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 19 08:15:26 MST 2004

Hi,

Can you perhaps explain what form the privatisation of 'welfare' benefits
has taken in Australia please Tom? In the UK at present, it appears that the
government is ensuring that unemployment benefits be paid into building
societies by the govt., and collected from post offices contracted to these
financial insitutions, by the unemployed. What is the real logic of this
scheme? The government is claiming that it makes things a lot easier for the
'dole' claimant'- s/he collects their money straight from their specially
set-up bank account. Is it not the case that the UK govt. is simply putting
people's benefits into UK banks to be used, presumably, for investment or
speculation? I am very much in the dark as to the privatisation of welfare
payments and would really appreciate your help in clearing up the causes and
effects thereof.

thanks.