[Marxism] Books on Vegetarianism (Not Just a Dietary Choice)

David Walters dwalters at marxists.org
Mon Dec 20 16:11:35 MST 2004

Louis wrote:
"Huh? That's 3 bison per person, right? Since an adult bison can weigh
up to
2200 pounds, that's 6600 pounds of meat per person. Based on one pound
of
meat per person per week, which is more than enough, that's 6600 weeks
or
more than 100 years."

Indeed. But we're talking sustainability (using a cattle analogy, a
fully dressed bison weighing as you suggest, slaughters out to about
1,600lbs, not bad, but less). Anyway, such large herds, wondering over
a million square miles (making permanent habitation somewhat
questionable) could not support a country of 260,000,000 meat eaters.
Unless society wanted to make the entire Middlewest of the US a
human-excluded biosphere, it simply isn't ever going to happen.

Oh yeah, and "one pound per person per week"...I don't think so.

David