[Marxism] Re: Queries: environment & related

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Mon Dec 20 20:21:20 MST 2004

Jon, thanks for the pointers.

>Given that there are 10 calories of fossil fuel in every calorie of food
that we eat, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that the world's current
population is unsustainable.<

This has a common-sense appeal, along with "there are a billion Chinese and
they all want to own a car". But there is a traditional answer: change our
diet/ use public transport and the numbers of people won't matter. And
there is a danger in seeing people as the problem - in Australia it has led
Greens to demand immigration cuts. Can't we fix things by making people
part of the *solution*, and in that case the more of them the better?

Just being Devil's Advocate for the moment. Obviously the right answer is
some kind of dialectical synthesis, and I'm hoping some Marxist out there
has worked through it in detail.