[Marxism] Americans regret invasion, but still endorse occupation

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 13:37:59 MST 2004

Listening to some analyst on CNN report just a few minutes ago about how
"Americans" want to see elections in Iraq go forward, I remarked to someone
how much I hate that kind of formulation, and the same goes for the title of
this post (no offense, Marv!). A poll which shows that 58 percent of
Americans want to see the occupation continue does NOT mean that "Americans"
endorse occupation, it means Americans are in fact quite split on the
subject, with a majority in support of continued occupation but a
significant majority (39 percent) opposed. 3 out of 5 Americans endorse
occupation, but 2 out of 5 say "get the troops out of there."

Listen in particular to CNN's favorite poll analysis Bill Schneider and he's
always saying "Americans want this" and "Americans believe that." All of
this is designed precisely to marginalize minority opinion, even when it is
a very significant minority. And we should have nothing to do with that kind
of talk.