[Marxism] Kremlin brings back 'Stalingrad'

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 22 16:44:35 MST 2004

Forward from mart.

----- Original Message -----
From: Wolfgang Mueller
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 2:41 PM
Subject: Kremlin brings back 'Stalingrad'

http://english.people.com.cn/200407/26/eng20040726_150806.html

People's Daily Online
http://english.people.com.cn

Kremlin brings back 'Stalingrad'

A reference to Soviet leader Josef Stalin is
to appear on a Russian monument for the
first time in more than 40 years, on the
orders of President Vladimir Putin.

Putin ordered the word "Stalingrad" engraved
on a memorial complex by the Kremlin wall,
replacing Volgograd, the current name of the
city where one of the bloodiest battles of
World War II was fought.

Less than two years ago Putin said reviving
the name of Stalingrad "would do us no
good." But his latest order, posted on the
presidential web site Kremlin.ru on Friday,
said restoring Stalin's name on the monument
was to "pay tribute to the heroism of the
defenders of Stalingrad and to preserve the
history of the Russian state."

In 1961, Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev
publicly accused Stalin, who died in 1953,
of killing millions of innocent people in
political purges and ordered his name
removed from most official records.

Countless monuments referring to the Soviet
leader of nearly three decades were pulled
down.

Stalingrad, named after the him in the late
1930s, was one of hundreds of cities, towns,
villages, factories and collective farms
renamed under Khrushchev's orders.

Post-Soviet Russian leaders have resisted
pressure from nationalists and war veterans
to restore the name of Stalingrad to the
city on the Volga, where more than 1 million
Russians and Germans died in five months of
fighting in 1942-43.

In December 2002, Putin said: "I am sure that
by reviving the name of Stalingrad in this
country we could trigger suspicion that we are
returning to the times of Stalinism. This would
do us no good."

But his change of mind appears to have been
triggered by plans to celebrate next year's
60th anniversary of the end of World War II.