[Marxism] DSP prettifies the North Korean regime

Ozleft ozleft at optushome.com.au
Thu Dec 23 05:11:49 MST 2004

The DSP leadership makes a political gesture towards the "deformed
workers state" of North Korea

By Bob Gould

The Christmas break issue of Green Left Weekly has an excited review by
Chris Atkinson of Jim McIlroy's pamphlet, Origins of the ALP, which
condemns Laborism and Laborites in the most sweeping way. I'll comment
more fully on that in a few days.

Right next to that review is an article about North Korea, ostensibly a
  review of a book by a US historian, Bruce Cumings.
http://members.optushome.com.au/spainter/Timeless.html

The review is by Iggy (Ignatius) Kim, who is one of the younger leaders
of the DSP. He's of Korean background and comes of a zealous Korean
Catholic family, who sent him to good Catholic schools. He became a
Marxist a few years ago.

I have to confess to a certain respect, and even personal liking, for
Iggy Kim. He's a tall bloke with an infectious laugh and a winning
smile. He's an energetic activist of the DSP. He obviously lives on not
much money and is very dedicated. He's often to be seen pedaling his
pushbike around the inner city.

His personal commitment deserves respect, and he's also a serious
Marxist intellectual, although he's commissioned from time to time by
the DSP leadership to perform intellectual tasks that are extremely
problematic.

For example, the DSP leadership got him to write a pamphlet, The Origins
of Racism, at the time of the Pauline Hanson outbreak a few years ago.
The pamphlet blamed the Labor Party for the origins of racism in
Australia and attacked official multiculturalism at the same time as the
Hansonites were doing the same thing from the right.

Now, Iggy Kim has obviously been given the job of prettifying North
Korea because of his Korean background, and to my mind, chronically
suspicious in matters relating to the DSP leadership, this suggests that
this may have something to do with the DSP's planned Asia-Pacific
Solidarity Conference.

Full: http://members.optushome.com.au/spainter/NKorea.html