[Marxism] Bill Clinton and John Kerry's inspiration

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Dec 23 17:08:12 MST 2004

Seymour Hersh: "Dark Side of Camelot":

Kennedy's former lover talked at length in our interviews about what she
termed his "tremendous acceptance of inequality." Kennedy did articulate
the view that "things should be better, yes." He also "could do acts of
personal kindness, yes." But, she said, deeply ingrained in him was "the
acceptance of inequality at every level - that women were not equal with
men, that African Americans were not equal with white people, that Jews
were not equal to gentiles. That was absolutely acceptable, and that
doesn't mean he was a horrible racist, anti-Semitic, classist, sexist
person. He was a person of his time. And that involved a lot of limitations."

When discussing the poor, the blacks, the Jews, "he used to say, 'Poor
bastards.' That was it. There were a lot of poor bastards in this world.
There were people who either didn't get jobs they wanted or they didn't get
programs they wanted. That phrase covered so many times when he would have
turned someone down for a job, or would have turned down some legislation
that was being pressed on him. You know, 'Poor bastard, they're going to
feel terrible.'" Kennedy seemed to believe that "people who are different
have different responses. The pain of poor people is different from 'our'
pain."

Kennedy was aware of the disconnect. While interviewing candidate Kennedy
for a Time magazine cover story in the late 19505, Hugh Sidey suddenly
asked if he had any memory of the Depression. Sidey had grown up in rural
Iowa and vividly recalled the harshness of those days. "Kennedy had his
feet on the desk, and he looked across at me and he said," Sidey said in a
1997 interview for this book, " 'I have no memory of the Depression. We
lived better than ever. We had bigger houses, more servants. I learned
about the Depression at Harvard - from reading.'" Jack Kennedy, Sidey told
me, with some consternation, "just hadn't encountered breadlines or bums
that used to come to our doors and ask for handouts. He was the
ambassador's son, and that was a very elegant existence. He was never in
contact with the reality of the Depression."

Kennedy's former lover believed that it would have been difficult for
Kennedy, given his comfortable family circumstances and the belief in his
own destiny, to understand the aspirations of the people in Cuba and South
Vietnam, the nations that became the object of presidential obsession,
anger, and frustration. Kennedy, the woman said, "did a wonderful thing in
trying to bring people into a sense of participation. But I feel most of it
was on the basis of being special, and surrounding himself with the best
and the brightest - with people whose accomplishments were their badge of
worth." Thus, when "things got really troublesome," she said, the president
and his immediate aides "reinforced each other's isolation. Those people,
in their specialness, got separated from reality. It was as if Bundy,
McNamara - all of these extraordinary men - in rising and shining, had cut
off their ability to feel their own pain. I never did experience John
Kennedy in a moment of reflection or pain or sadness," she told me.

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org