[Marxism] Marx's Grave

Jack Cade jack.cade at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 23 19:33:00 MST 2004

	The monument and bust was designed by the sculptor Lawrence Bradshaw
and completed in 1956. This is a general view of the east side of the
cemetery and includes some details of other graves near his:
www.compulink.co.uk/~archaeology/hampstead-heath/cemetery/highgatecemetery.h
tm

This one shows a close-up of the stone at the front:
www.habitsofwaste.wwu.edu/issues/5/marxsgrave.shtml

This is a b&w view:
www.newyouth.com/archives/imagegallery/marx/karlmarxgravebw.html

	The original grave, where Engels made his famous speech, is hard to
find but further down the hill and there is a plaque on it to say so.
Lawrence Bradshaw was a good old stick but the bust bears little resemblance
to Marx and the whole thing looks like an oversize steam bath but there it
is. Bradshaw also did the bas relief of Lenin in Marx Memorial Library in
Clerkenwell Green and that looks nothing like Lenin either.

	Herbert Spencer, 1820-1903, the Victorian biologist and early social
philosopher is buried opposite Marx. So you have 'Marx and Spencer' ('Marks
and Spencer' is a famous British store).

Jack

I didn't know what to expect when I managed to find his grave; though I'd
seen pictures of it I wasn't in any way prepared for the visceral reaction I
experienced when I came upon it. It is very impressive in size and design,
and when you see 'workers of all lands unite' carved in large letters
beneath a huge scupture of his head it sends shivers up and down your spine.