[Marxism] Falluja and Marxmail

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Thu Dec 23 23:29:28 MST 2004

I don't want to seem to be contradicting Javier's point,

At 12:18 AM 12/24/2004, you wrote:
>In speaking on how to intervene in the working class movement with
>revolutionary politics to help build a larger revolutionary formation of
>organizers that will lead to a party, isnt the more concrete political
>tasks figuring how to intervene in the working class today? Looking at
>1934 where three general strikes (SF, Minneapolis, and Toledo) had strong
>similarities with each other even though the political program of

because there's no contradiction, but I'd like to refer to the experience
of the FSLN, where the division of the FSLN into three tendencies was
superceded when the mass struggle reached the point where the popular
movement surged ahead of the Sandinista leadership's expectations and
plans, and obliged the tendencies to rethink strategy and unite. Thus,
while Marxists should ALWAYS be figuring out how to intervene in concrete
struggles by the working class (and not simply "in" the working class), I
think Mark's point is valid:

>Socailism will happen when--and only when--a consensus for it emerges
>within a broader working class movement.  I just don't see how we can,
>at this stage, begin to figure out what form that movement or its
>leadership (or leaderships) might take.

The only reason the FSLN was able to take (or retake) the initiative, was
because it did have a history of intervention in popular struggles and the
working masses, broadly speaking (although it had been marginalized from
the urban working class [such as it was] by Somoza's repression and the
pro-Moscow parties).

I think Andy raised a similar point to Javier's in conjunction with his
report on the Democracy Now! interview with labor leaders on the future
course of organized labor. Extending Andy's point a bit. in our current
juncture, I think bureaucratic initiatives are all that can be expected.
But, local struggles around concrete issues sow the seeds of a changed
juncture, and our concrete interventions in those struggles can prepare us
-- us, not the workers -- for circumstances as they change. This is in
contrast to the form of existence of sectarian groups like the SWP, whose
self-imposed encystment has left them unable to relate to ordinary working
people or respond to changing circumstances.

Mike