[Marxism] US military spetzes: Prepare for decades of Iraq counterinsurgency

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Fri Dec 24 01:28:33 MST 2004

Thank you for this Fred.  Very interesting indeed.  I almost
laughed at this

"The US may have to allow the government coming in to
distance itself from the party that could hurt the legitimacy
the most, including to withdrawing troops if that is what
they ask for,'' says Malley. "In the past this would have
been viewed as a failure for US policy, but now perhaps it
has to be seen as a necessary element of success because it
would at least preserve, hopefully, a unified country and a
government that's seen as legitimate by its people."

If this scenario plays out they will describe a disaster as a
great victory and head home with the tail between their legs.
I don't think so. Not even Fox or CNN will be able to pull
that off.

regards

Gary

BTW seasonal greetings and best wishes to all listers