[Marxism] Chemnitz and Marx #2

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Fri Dec 24 09:11:06 MST 2004

Of the many pictures that show the Marx monument, there are 3 others
that may be of interest.
http://home.arcor.de/sachsen-chemnitz/nach45.htm

The 23rd picture (just before 2 pictures--one them a map), shows some
reproductions that are probably for sale, à la the Statute of Liberty
or the Eiffel Tower.

About 1/3 of the way down, there is a postcard with the city's name in
a white banner.

Almost 3/4 of the way down, there is a full width panoramic view.

Regarding the "religious" symbolism that some of objected to, I see no
objection to this at all. After all, we honor memorializations of
historic events at 10, 20, 25, The FSM at 40, etc., according to arbitrary
definitions of time. And we honor Martin Luther King and Malcolm X and
Washington and Jefferson on their birthdays, along with Jesus Christ on
his non-birthday--a Happy to all of you, too.

The symbolism of Russia abolishing the anniversary of the Russian
Revolution is a negative recognition of the same.

Checking this just before sending it, I see that Charles Brown says
something similar, with which I agree. Don't we all keep in our mind
memories of our own ancestors and questions regarding our ancestors'
ancestors? The Chinese and the Egyptians and American Indian mound
monuments are material embodiments of personal memory.

Brian Shannon