[Marxism] Herbert Spencer

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Fri Dec 24 13:33:31 MST 2004

According to one site,

"Spencer maintained that government action requires not only individual
consent, but that the model for political association should be that of a
"joint stock company", where the 'directors' can never act for a certain
good except on the explicit wishes of its 'shareholders'. When parliaments
attempt to do more than protect the rights of their citizens by, for
example, 'imposing' a conception of the good--be it only on a
minority--Spencer suggested that they are no different from tyrannies."
http://www.iep.utm.edu/s/spencer.htm#H2

...which I didn't know before. That would jell well with neoliberal
ideology. The snag is of course that a joint-stock company can also "impose"
a conception of the good, or fail to act according to the good. But you
could go all ways with the argument, because, if a government does not
impose any conception of the good, what ensures that the citizenry will
serve the cause of the good? I haven't read Spencer's "The Man versus the
State" but a missing element in his formula seems to be a real, effective
political dialogue between the citizenry and the politicians.

Jurriaan