[Marxism] The Apostle

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Dec 25 17:01:32 MST 2004

>Louis,
>
>I couldn't quite believe you made it through a review of Robert Duvall's
>"The Apostle" without talking about Duvall's politics. This is a guy who
>hangs out with David Horowitz and once suggested building an "annex on
>the Holocaust museum, or at least across the street, to honor the dead
>Cubans that Castro killed."
>
>Maybe you just take a different approach with Hollywood types, but when
>you talk are talking about a writer with credentials like these, you
>usually go out of your way to mention it.
>
>Stuart Lawrence

His politics are dreadful, but I am not sure that "The Apostle" has much to
do with the rightwing agenda, although I am open to a counter-analysis. Not
even the sectarians at WSWS thought it was rightwing propaganda. They just
faulted it for leaving stuff out, which was my complaint with "Hotel
Rwanda".  Nobody would want to become involved with evangelical
Christianity after seeing this film, even if that was Duvall's intention.
Just to repeat myself, I think the film is very much like "Slingblade". If
you liked "Slingblade", you will like "The Apostle".

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org