[Marxism] how many deaths could have been prevented?

acpollack2 at juno.com acpollack2 at juno.com
Sun Dec 26 13:10:30 MST 2004

In the Reuters story on the "natural" earthquake/tsunami disaster (http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=SXONUMF4CYS2GCRBAELCFFA?type=topNews&storyID=7179996) is this quote:
"'A warning center such as those used along the Pacific Rim could have saved most of the thousands of people who died, A United States Geological Survey official said. 'And I think this will be a lesson to them,' he said, referring to the devastated countries."
Leaving aside his cynical tone, two questions:
1) Why wasn't it in place?
2) How many deaths were also due to the shoddy construction usually responsible for most of the deaths in such "natural" disasters? I suspect this time many if not most were due to lack of warning; still, either way, they were preventable, if only society planned its resource use for such purposes.