[Marxism] how many deaths could have been prevented?

Reihana Mohideen reihana_m at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 26 17:38:38 MST 2004

How true. The deaths in the recent floods in the Philippines was primarily due to deforestation and because people in the rural areas mainly live in wooden shacks. Apparently these Tsunami earthquake warning systems are very expensive to install, but this points to government priorities. What I would also like to know is why the sophisticated satelite technology today can't pick these earthquake movements up.
Reihana

"acpollack2 at juno.com" <acpollack2 at juno.com> wrote:

In the Reuters story on the "natural" earthquake/tsunami disaster (http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=SXONUMF4CYS2GCRBAELCFFA?type=topNews&storyID=7179996) is this quote:
"'A warning center such as those used along the Pacific Rim could have saved most of the thousands of people who died, A United States Geological Survey official said. 'And I think this will be a lesson to them,' he said, referring to the devastated countries."
Leaving aside his cynical tone, two questions:
1) Why wasn't it in place?
2) How many deaths were also due to the shoddy construction usually responsible for most of the deaths in such "natural" disasters? I suspect this time many if not most were due to lack of warning; still, either way, they were preventable, if only society planned its resource use for such purposes.