[Marxism] Making It

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 27 15:55:46 MST 2004

NOTE BY HUNTER BEAR:  12/26/04

This good note [attached] by David is worth carrying to the good BWB list.
Beba, of course, about four days ago, wondered if I had had a premonition of
some sort.  And David and many others [with whom I share much agreement on
things] have given me a good push toward survival!  I certainly intend to
survive -- but, as all of us do, I want to live effectively.  This is a rare
disease -- my especially lethal version of SLE is very rare.  No version of
Lupus, the many SLE variants or the purely skin kind, have any known cure.
"Management" is the physicians' basic approach and, with my variant, even
that is speculative and very possibly limited to a few years at most.  But
anything can happen:  we are encouraged by my recent blood work results
which do indicate the kidneys -- a key cause of Lupus mortality -- are now
presently much safer.  My return to orderly and proportionate foot growth --
most recently, 15 to 16 -- which the medics make no effort to even try to
explain, may be a positive harbinger.  There is talk of a Lupus "cure"
before too long and I have had a couple of contacts with the Oklahoma-based
study on Natives and Lupus -- which is seeking to isolate a particular gene.
[Some estimates have Native Americans as many as ten times more likely to
have Lupus, with Chicanos and African Americans and Asians not far behind.
But it can hit anyone.]

Boredom is a major adversary of mine -- with or without a debilitating
disease.  It is up to me to deal with that.  I do have the intellectual
resources and my normally  broad range of interests does contain many that
are still quite viable.  Things happen which draw me out -- an "Idaho
situation" or, very recently, a friend [a mining engineer with U.S. Bureau
of Land Management] coming by to successfully ask me to give an appropriate
address to their agency staff on forthcoming Martin Luther King Day.  Hard
to be totally bored when surrounded by a large [and occasionally
contentious] entourage of family and furry [and fishy and turtle] friends.

And I am planning a black bear hunt.  I may have to do more waiting than
walking, but I can -- tough as it is -- be patient.  I plan to use my
Browning/Winchester 1895 lever action [30/06].  If it's good enough for
Teddy Roosevelt [the '95 was his favorite], it's good enuf for me.  Well,
anyway -- Ducking on that one!

Winter here can be tough -- but we now measure everything against North
Dakota in which we resided for some years.  Compared to that, Idaho is
border/tropical.  [An ND winter is long and lows can hit 30 to 40 below on
many occasions -- with windchills going to 100 below or worse.]

Everyone here  [eight people] was pleased with his/her Christmas take -- and
Veblen's analysis was once again emphatically confirmed.  Meanwhile, the
house is still a colorful mess of wrapping paper and boxes.  But, as my
father would say in comparable circumstances -- and I am sure David would
agree vis a vis his intriguing New York habitat -- "It's a lived-in house."

And with Maria and Thomas' Mimmie often involved in care facilities, we hear
frequently of people who have things medically far worse than I.

It is very good to be associated with the people on BWB and some other lists
as well -- all of whom are involved in meaningful activism in the Save the
World Business.  That's more priceless than the richest gold lode.

>From David McR -- 12/25/04  [Re From the Edge of the Fog]

This is, I think, the frankest (and in some ways the most painful) report
you've given of your situation. You made it through last winter and I join
all the others in hoping you make it through this one. At some point all of
us vanish through the fog. But none of us should be in a hurry.
Particularly when there is so much to be done,
and when you are needed for the task.

Let's hope the coffee can remains out of reach.

Peace and happy holidays,
David
from the warmth of an untidy studio apt. in NYC (let me see if I can find a
photo of the mess and attach it).

HUNTER GRAY  [HUNTER BEAR]   Micmac /St. Francis Abenaki/St. Regis Mohawk
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'

remembering way. [Hunter Bear]