[Marxism] Scopes redux

Carlos A. Rivera cerejota at optonline.net
Tue Dec 28 11:05:26 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Friedman" <mikedf at mail.amnh.org>
To: <marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 11:44 AM
Subject: re: [Marxism] Scopes redux

> While Linnaean classification is useful to pigeonhole organisms, it is not
> useful to assess evolutionary relationships, because it simply doesn't
> reflect the patterns of ancestry and descent present among living things.
> It groups by similarity. We use phylogenetics for that.

Hey, I only claimed "educated layman" knowledge of the question, thanks for
the information, precisely what this thread needed...

> MDS was wrong, for the same reason that the Linnaean grouping "Reptilia"
> no longer exists, except in high school biology classes. If we recognize
> groupings based on evolutionary history, then "organic" groupings must
> include the common ancestor and all of its descendants. In that case,
> Reptilia should also include the Linnaean class Aves (birds), which in
> popular usage, it doesn't. MDS creates a fictitious grouping of great apes
> by subtracting Homo from it.

I agree fully. This also questions the view of dinosaurs as "extinct", when
in reality they simply evolved into birds and modern reptiles.

Another question, I heard from a conservationist friend that bats are being
re-classified as primates, is this true?

sks