[Marxism] Joseph Kennedy and the Jews

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 28 11:39:52 MST 2004

Seymour Hersh, "Dark Side of Camelot":

There is no evidence that Ambassador [Joseph] Kennedy understood in the
days before the war that stopping Hitler was a moral imperative.
"In­dividual Jews are all right, Harvey," Kennedy told Harvey Klemmer, one
of his few trusted aides in the American Embassy, "but as a race they
stink. They spoil everything they touch. Look what they did to the movies."
Klemmer, in an interview many years later made avail­able for this book,
recalled that Kennedy and his "entourage" gener­ally referred to Jews as
"kikes or sheenies."

Kennedy and his family would later emphatically deny allegations of
anti-Semitism stemming from his years as ambassador, but the German
diplomatic documents show that Kennedy consistently minimized the Jewish
issue in his four-month attempt in the sum­mer and fall of 1938 to obtain
an audience with Hitler. On June 13, as the Nazi regime was systematically
segregating Jews from German society, Kennedy advised Herbert von Dirksen,
the German ambas­sador in London, as Dirksen reported to Berlin, that "it
was not so much the fact that we wanted to get rid of the Jews that was so
harmful to us, but rather the loud clamor with which we accompanied this
purpose. He himself understood our Jewish policy completely." On October
13, 1938, a few weeks before Kristallnacht, with its Brown Shirt terror
attacks on synagogues and Jewish businesses, Kennedy met again with
Ambassador Dirksen, who subsequently informed his superiors that "today,
too, as during former conversations, Kennedy mentioned that very strong
anti-Semitic feelings existed in the United States and that a large portion
of the population had an un­derstanding of the German attitude toward the
Jews."

Kennedy knew little about the culture and history of Europe be­fore his
appointment as ambassador and made no effort to educate himself once in
London. He made constant misjudgments. In the summer of 1938, for example,
he blithely assured the president in a letter, described in the published
diaries of Harold Ickes, FDR's secretary of the interior, that "he does not
regard the European situation as so critical." Diplomats serving on the
American Desk in the British Foreign Office quickly came to fear ­ and hate
­ Kennedy. They compiled a secret dossier on him, known as the "Kennediana"
file, which would not be declassified until after the war. In those pages
Sir Robert Vansittart, undersecretary of the Foreign Office, scrawled, as
war was spreading throughout Europe in early 1940: "Mr. Kennedy is a very
foul specimen of a double-crosser and defeatist. He thinks of nothing but
his own pocket. I hope that this war will at least see the elimination of
his type."

Kennedy remained insensitive, at best, about the Jewish issue through the
later war years, when the existence of concentration camps was widely
known. In a May 1944 interview with an old friend, Joe Dinneen of the
Boston Globe, Kennedy acknowl­edged, when questioned about his alleged
anti-Semitism: "It is true that I have a low opinion of some Jews in public
office and in private life. That does not mean that I hate all Jews; that I
believe they should be wiped off the face of the earth. . . . Other races
have their own problems to solve. They're glad to give the Jews a lift and
help them along the way toward tolerance, but they're not going to drop
everything and solve the problems of the Jews for them. Jews who take an
unfair advantage of the fact that theirs is a persecuted race do not help
much. . .. Publicizing unjust attacks upon the Jews may help to cure the
injustice, but continually publicizing the whole prob­lem only serves to
keep it alive in the public mind." Kennedy's discussion of anti-Semitism
was withheld from publication at the time by the editors of the Globe, but
in 1959 Dinneen sought to include a portion of it in a generally flattering
precampaign family biography. Advance galleys of the Dinneen book, entitled
The Kennedy Family, had been given to Jack Kennedy, who understood how
inflammatory his fa­ther's comments would be and had no difficulty in
successfully urging Dinneen to delete the offending paragraphs. The
incident is described in Richard Whalen's biography of Joe Kennedy.

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org