[Marxism] Scopes redux

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Tue Dec 28 22:29:36 MST 2004

I'd be the first to admit that I'm not really up on the Gould-Dawkins
debate. It is most probable that the debate reflects earlier antagonism
over Gould's rejection of Dawkins' "Selfish Gene" theory. This is, in a
way, ironic, because Dawkins actually abstracted from the individual as the
basiuc unit of natural selection, arguing that individual genes were the
units of selection, to the extreme degree of manipulating individuals to
gain selective advantage. That is, sequences of DNA -- genotypes -- could
be seen and acted on by natural selection. Gould rejected this as an absurd
degree of reductionism and bad science. Recall that reductionism,
biological determinism and essentialism have all been recurring themes for
critique in Gould's writings. In the case of Dawkins' Selfish Gene theory,
Gould argued for a more pluralistic view. Although he initially rejected
Dawkins construct, he later accepted that some form of selection may indeed
occur at the genomic level, as well as at the individual and even higher
levels.

 From a quick search on the internet, the debate over natural selection
also seemed to involve the notion of plural modes of speciation or
macroevolution versus a more traditional, gradualistic view. You might want
to read Gould and Eldridge's "Punctuated Equilibrium." There's also a New
York Review of Books article by Gould on this debate at
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1151. Most evolutionary biologists seem to
accept that both p-e and gradualism have been at work.

At 12:54 PM 12/28/2004, you wrote:
>Message: 17
>Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:53:47 -0800
>From: "David McDonald" <dbmcdonald at comcast.net>
>Subject: RE: [Marxism] Scopes redux
>To: "Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition"
>         <marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
>
>I think that "The Growth of Biological Thought" by Ernst Mayr (98 years old
>and still writing) is the best serious introduction to these questions.
>
>I have been unable to understand the broader issues that led Dawkins and
>Gould to be on opposite sides of the pole politically, or what relation
>their politics bear to their views of science.. What emerges from Dawkins
>work to me is a serious, even fanatical attempt to maintain "strict"
>Darwinism, by which I think he means natural selection at only the
>organismic level, that is, selection operating only on individual organisms.
>This was Darwin's point of view, for sure. Gould on the other hand is known
>for promoting evidence of other and longer trends that he has insisted have
>to be incorporated into Darwinism to keep it from becoming outdated and just
>plain wrong. Two such departures from strict Darwinism are his elaboration
>of the idea of punctuated equilibrium and selection at the non-organismic

The latter would seem to me to be unproven, since "evolutionary clocks"
(measuring rates of divergence) are notoriously unreliable and variable,
from gene to gene and species to species. And how would you measure the
rate of evolution of the species that gave rise to, say, the chordates?
Since much of speciation seems to depend on vicariance -- or geographic
isolation of populations -- geological and ecological factors affect the
rate of speciation. Part of the problem rests with how you define species
(and Mayr's Biological Species Concept is fraught with problems and VERY
subject to debate). In fact, keep in mind that the taxa are all
intellectual constructs: kingdom, phylum, class, etc., are all organizing
concepts devised by humans. The only reality rests with concrete living
organisms, which is why they are the units of natural selection.