[Marxism] Jared Diamond

acpollack2 at juno.com acpollack2 at juno.com
Tue Dec 28 22:54:29 MST 2004

Finally read Gladwell's piece. I've only had time to skim the Blaut piece and Diamond's work he's reviewing. But if Gladwell is right, the new Diamond book is ANYTHING but environmental determinism. Quite the opposite! Using the example of Norwegians starving to death on Greenland, Gladwell leads you to believe that Diamond thinks it was the Norwegians' culture that blinded them to their ecological bind, that the Norwegians had to junk the parts of their culture that were killing the environment and thus their society. At the end Gladwell (interpreting Diamond) almost screams, "Hey you fucking Vikings! Forget your damned norms and eat the goddam fish!"

And implicit in all that are similar warnings about our own culture leading us down the brimstone path today...

-- Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
THE VANISHING
by MALCOLM GLADWELL
In “Collapse,” Jared Diamond shows how societies destroy themselves.
New Yorker Magazine, Issue of 2005-01-03

full: http://www.newyorker.com/critics/books/?050103crbo_books

===

ENVIRONMENTALISM AND EUROCENTRISM: A REVIEW ESSAY

J. M. BLAUT

"Environment molds history," says Jared Diamond in _Guns, Germs, and Steel:
The Fates of Human Societies_ (p. 352). Everything important that has
happened to humans since the Paleolithic is due to environmental
influences.full: http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/Blaut/diamond.htm

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org