[Marxism] Kissinger & Brzezinski argue Iraq war on CNN

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Wed Dec 29 09:47:25 MST 2004

A Marine Corps Blog at http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q5A022F1A picked
this up

Brzezinski, Kissinger rebuke US administration over Iraq invasion

WASHINGTON: Former US national security advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski
strongly criticised the American-led invasion of Iraq on Sunday and
said the US administration would have to scale down its ambitions for
Iraq’s future.

Former US secretary of state Henry Kissinger, expressed support for the
invasion on the same CNN programme, but said the US administration had
misjudged the difficulty of rebuilding Iraq and guiding it to
democracy. Brzezinski, the national security advisor to President Jimmy
Carter in the 1980s, made a scathing assessment of the US-led invasion
in March 2003 and ensuing occupation after ousting Saddam Hussein as
Iraqi leader. “I personally think it was not worth it, in the sense
that we have paid a high price in blood. And it’s increasing. You
cannot underestimate the suffering that this has already produced to
tens of thousands of American families.”
http://makeashorterlink.com/?G59041F1A
_________

What is missing from it is an important comment from Kissinger that
suggests that Iraq might fall apart into separate regions--the Kurds,
the Sunnis, and the Shiites, and that it would be o.k. See the last
part of the summary of the K/B debate below.

This would make it easier for the U.S. to get out on a formal basis,
while maintaining control over three antagonistic countries or a kind
of Serbo/Montenegro/Kosova entity.

Iraq was cobbled together from the Turkish Empire by Winston Churchill
and Lloyd George in the first place. (Winston's Folly: Imperialism and
the Creation of Modern Iraq by Christopher Catherwood). Before doing
this, the British first separated out tiny Kuwait, which had the port
and even then signs of oil potential (even then gaining importance).
All the ruling groups since then have protested the separation of
Kuwait from the rest of Iraq. Then Churchill and Lloyd-George imposed a
ruler on Mesopotamia who at first wasn't even interested in the area
and who had expected to rule Syria. However, France wanted Syria, which
at the time included what was later Lebanon, and didn't want a native
ruler who had a certain degree of legitimacy there.

And so the modern world was created.

Brian Shannon
__________

December 26, 2004

[...]

He said tens of thousands of Iraqis have died and added: "We're
spending billions of dollars, and we have isolated ourselves
internationally. Now, that is simply not worth the price of removing
Saddam, because we were containing him. But we are where we are. And
the problem today is, in my judgment, how to avoid failure."

Brzezinski said the United States "will confront a continuing problem
and maybe a deepening crisis if there remains this massive
disproportion between objectives which are unrealistic and means which
are very limited. If we are very serious about creating an Iraqi
democracy, let's put in 500,000 troops and let's spend 100 billion, 200
billion (dollars). We're not going to do it and therefore, we have to
scale down our expectations."

Kissinger remains a strong supporter of the Bush administration line.
"I believe that they made fundamentally the right decision in entering
the war. But they underestimated the complexity of rebuilding a
democratic society in Iraq under military occupation," he said.
Kissinger said the whole administration leadership, and not just
embattled Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, had to look again at the
political decisions made.

The two also disagreed over the future makeup of Iraq's government.

Brzezinski said there was now a growing probability that a "Shiite
theocratic government, which is not going to be a genuine democracy"
would win Iraq's elections to be held on January 30.

Kissinger said the United States should not accept a Shiite theocracy
for all of Iraq. "And if it reaches this point, then we really have no
interest in keeping Iraq united. Then we might just as well let each of
these competing ethnic groups create their own self-government, rather
than imposing a theocracy on, or cooperate with creating a theocracy
for all of Iraq
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y3A123F1A