[Marxism] Jared Diamond

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Wed Dec 29 10:26:18 MST 2004

You should take the Gladwell review in the context of Diamond's thinking.
He *has* tended to an ecological or biological determinism, or rather a
reductionist view in which social evolution can be attributed to one or a
few or even various neatly causal environmental factors. He has no concept
of mode of production as any kind of mediating factor between the
environment and "culture." For example, his discussion of Rwanda: surely
the "steep hills farmed right up to the crests, without any protective
terracing; rivers thick with mud from erosion; extreme deforestation
leading to irregular rainfall and famine; staggeringly high population
densities; the exhaustion of the topsoil; falling per-capita food
production," played some role in the explosion that ensued, but what
happened to the imperialism that led to that environmental destruction and
starvation or that fanned the flames of tribalism or that armed the Hutu?
Or the class divisions within that country itself that led some to benefit
from the massacre? Sometimes, as in this case, Diamond's work verges on
crude neo-Malthusian, victim-blaming rubbish.

Mike