[Marxism] Anthro 101 and Apes and Monkeys

Adam cleon42 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 12:49:39 MST 2004

--- Ken Ranney <kranney at rogers.com> wrote:

> I wish neither to rock anyone's boat nor to deny that I am an
> ape/monkey.  Further, I am not a bible believer.  But, noting the
> hard
> dogmatism which runs through this discussion, I will reveal my
> skepticism
> about Darwinism by asking if this theory (called a 'fact')

Evolution is a fact. Darwin's theory--descent through modification--is
a theory as to evolution's machinery.

> can
> explain the
> gradual development of insect metamorphosis, a very common life
> phenomenon?  Note that the 'Origin of Species', all of which I have
> read,
> makes numerous references to the necessity for frequent small
> modifications
> in the process of Natural Selection.  To cite two:
> As natural selection acts only by the accumulation of slight
> modifications
> of structure or instinct, each profitable to the individual under its
>
> conditions of life.
> As natural selection acts solely by accumulating slight, successive,
> favourable variations, it can produce no great or sudden
> modification.

Er....No. That's what's called "gradualism," but there's another school
of thought (championed by Gould) called "punctuated equilibrium," which
posits that evolutionary change occurs in short, rapid hops amidst
longer periods of stagnation. (Frequently--and incorrectly--these ideas
are postulated against each other.)

Keep in mind evolutionary science does not begin and end with Darwin.
Much has happened since Darwin died, and many things have yet to be
discovered.

I suggest if you have questions about this or that you refer to a
fantastic site called www.talkorigins.org, which discusses many
concepts (including metamorphosis) in detail and is frequently updated.

Adam