[Marxism] Anthro 101 and Apes and Monkeys

Carlos A. Rivera cerejota at optonline.net
Wed Dec 29 12:56:23 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

> Let's be accurate. No one calls Darwin's theory a fact; everyone who
> knows anything calls evolution a fact; indeed, there are few better
> established facts in all of science. Darwin's _theory_ was an attempt to
> _explain_ the _fact_ of evolution. Debate is over whether that theory is
> an _adequate_ explanation of the facts of evolution. Roughly speaking,
> Dawkins and Dennet (sp?) say yes; Gould; Elledge; Vrba, many others say
> _no_. But all agree that evolution itself is a fact.

I agree completely.

One can't confuse the reality of evolution with Darwin's theory, or other
theories, of evolution. Much in the same way that one can't confuse the
reality of the class struggle with Marx's theory, or other theories,  of the
class struggle. I don't subscribe to all of Darwin's theories, yet I defend
them from attack of those who seek to deny evolution, in the same manner I
don't subscribe to all of Marx's theories, yet I defend them from attack of
those who deny the class struggle.

Furthermore, I believe Ken has been reading a different thread than what I
have been, because I have not seen in that thread a single person speaking
glowingly on the validity of Darwin's theory. As a matter of fact, I even
included, as part of supporting a point, a link to a book review by SJ Gould
attacking "Darwinian Fundamentalism", and the centrality it poses on natural
selection as an evolutionary process. Some seem to like to fight phantom
menaces...

sks