[Marxism] New buzzword: "disaster reduction"

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Wed Dec 29 18:38:11 MST 2004

Listening to the radio, I picked up a new buzzword from BBC, a sort of
neologism - "disaster reduction".

Yep, they actually mentioned the "d" word, in talking about the people
trying to cope with the effects of the Asian tsunami. A new concept.

It's kinda "risk management" language (as in portfolio investment), where
you cannot eliminate the possibility of a disaster occurring altogether
(deregulated market uncertainty and all that), but you could reduce the
likelihood of it occurring, or alternatively reduce/limit the severity of
the effects of the disaster, if it occurs.

Thus, disasters could be "reduced", in the sense of being brought down to a
manageable size, a manageable problem, or at least a problem where you could
employ a manager to manage it. Although not a management problem, but a
natural disaster.

Soon I expect to hear more about "disaster reduction strategies". Preferable
to "war against terror" though.

Jurriaan

Talkin about
a new construction