[Marxism] The World According to Student Bloopers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 29 20:46:37 MST 2004

Mike Friedman wrote:

> 1/18/98 -- The World According to Student Bloopers Richard Lederer -- St.
> Paul's School
>
> Actually, Homer was not
> written by Homer but by another man of that name.

This one is not so far off; he or she just twisted slightly what some
lecturer had said. Something like "The composer of the Iliad was not
Homer but someone we call Homer." What's involved is the dispute (pretty
much settled now) over the single or multiple authorship of the two
epics. The professor's remark that confused the student was a way of
affirming single authorship while noting the name is probably mere
legend.

This is the sort of thing that can give an instructor nightmares if
he/she broods on it. Every single casual comment is very apt to come out
extremely odd when filtered through the mind of a student innocent of
history and geography!

Carrol